Wednesday, August 20, 2008

what a mess

No E., I'm not talking about my hair. Although I could be.


The garden. It needed some serious cleanup. I recall this happening last year too -- sometime in August, I totally losing momentum on my little patch of green. In any case, here's the tragedy, my good friends the cosmos, leggy and straggly and just all over the place, those cool little red guys, like their "bad friend" aiding and abetting. And the Peonies, developing the mildew I'm now used to this time of year:

Here's the after. Everyone trimmed back and tied up. Radically. Peonies completely cut back. It's kind of stark now, but I know it's just plain going to be good for everyone. Not that there still isn't a lot of fixing up to do, but at least it doesn't look like it just got out of bed.

2 comments:

BestViewInBrooklyn said...

Thanks for feeding my garden envy. I think it looks lovely in both the before and after shots. I'm glad that you enjoy your garden! Too many people don't appreciate the plot they have access to!

green light said...

Thanks! It really is a work in progress, and I have to laugh at myself since I'm not nearly the garden geek of many of the garden blogs out there. But it's just getting better and better, I don't stress out (too much) about the mistakes and things that don't work, and it's really kind of fun!