Wednesday, August 19, 2009

glider reupholstery project

Originally, this was going to be my own little fun project: get a glider cheaply off craigslist, and then recover the cushions with a fun fabric. I found the fun fabric at Ikea, but then stupid carpal tunnel syndrome, plus with a realistic assessment of my own sewing skills, made me reconsider.

Before: The glider I found was a very basic white (approve!), with denim cushions that had faded in spots (cheesy!).


After: I used the "Alchemy" feature on Etsy, and an awesome seamstress, Jessie Skillman, agreed to do my project. And what a smart thing. They came out great. I am so, so pleased.


I love the fabric. We have a bright orange thing happening in the baby room, that will make the little squid guys really pop.


"Happening", I say with a snort. Behold the current state of the baby room. Two weeks 'til due date! (Ok, it looks bad, but what's left to do isn't that overwhelming: sand/refinish floors, install baseboards/door casings, replace radiators, paint. That's doable, right? Snort again?).

3 comments:

eliza said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!
(should I send Jeff out?)

Laura said...

The glider looks great!!! I love the fabric - so fun!

BestViewInBrooklyn said...

The glider looks fantastic. And isn't carpal tunnel such an unexpectedly annoying side-effect of being preggers? (I'm guessing it was due to the pregnancy.) I had it for months after my first.