Saturday, October 20, 2007

Help! The lawn is balding

So the lawn is balding. It's coming out in clumps. All enzo has to do is roll around and it comes out. It must be sick. According to my research, it's probably because the roots didn't go deep enough, and that we've got nutrient poor soil. I'm not that surprised -- all I did was sprinkle a little grass seed over it, pull out the crabgrass, and hope for the best.

So I had this great plan. I'd till the ground, amending with nice rich compost from the nyc giveback. I'd smooth it out and reseed. And then sit back next spring as the lawn created itself lush, deeprooted, and carefree.

But alas, I've waited too long. Average first frost date in NYC is apparently October 27, and while global warming and this fall in particular has made things darn balmy, that's definitely less than the four to six week window recommended for little fresh grass seedlings to take root. So I guess I'm going to be watching the bald spots til spring. For the record, last frost date in NYC averages April 13.

Or maybe I'll find myself a tiller/cultivator (or convince a bunch of people that it won't be that much work if we all pitch in), and just do it anyway. Enzo and I did go out to Staten Island Saturday and got a big garbage can full of compost.... stay tuned for details.

No comments: