Monday, October 1, 2007

So what is this?

It made me feel a lot better about pulling weeds when I read somewhere that a weed is just the right plant in the wrong spot. Anyway. This guy has come up in a couple spots (here among what I assume is more coneflowers and the scarlet runner beans) and I wasn't sure if it might be one of those things I planted late fall last year. But looking through the old pics from the yard in 2005, I see those jagged edged leaves: hey, it was growing back then too. But now it's got those adorable white flowers. We like him. For now.






And then there are these guys. Morning glory, I'm assuming because they've got those flowers and heart shaped leaves. Suddenly appeared a week or so ago -- who knew they were even growing. A surprise. They're helping cover the ugly fence, so I don't mind at all.

1 comment:

Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

The white flower looks like one of the late-flowering native Eupatorium species. They're in the Asteraceae, the Daisy/Sunflower/Aster Family, also known as the Compositae because the flowers are composed of two different types of flowers: ray flowers, the "petals" of the flowers, and disk flowers, making up the center. There are so many similar species, botanists refer to them as DWCs: Damn White Composites.

Late-blooming as they are, they set seed quickly. This makes them important food sources for migrating birds. I've seen flocks descend on fields of these "weeds", fluttering just above the flowerheads, gorging themselves on the seeds.