Sunday, April 26, 2009

big garden weekend

It's 80 degrees and I'm behind schedule. I have all these seeds that were supposed to be planted at "last frost" and that was officially April 13. Now I hope they come up sometime before August. Sigh. And now there's not much to see, because it all went into the ground so it's all patches of dirt. I really need to learn to start my seedlings early or not at all -- sure it's more expensive to get annuals from the nursery, but at least then there are flowers when you want them. Anyway, here's what went in.

- ranunculus in the new black and white planter. Put more in the concrete block 'retaining wall' by the patio, and also in the planter now in the front. And alyssum seed also in the retaining wall blocks.

- Planted “butterfly mix” in the raised bed by the raspberries. Didn't spread much, so only partial.

- Red Sunflowers in cement block by the JackRabbit hydrangea, also back behind the allium. That planter fell over while I was doing this and fell apart. Oops. You can see it here, behind the flowering quince, which is flowering nicely.

- Mexican torchflower behind the jackrabbit hydrangea, I think. I've already lost count! I also planted hollyhocks, and have no idea where I put those. In the hollyhock "spot" I'm sure, but I have to have also put them elsewhere.

- Calla lilies in the new green planter.

- Xeriscape mix in the long aluminum planter, and two of the square planters, also in the planters already hanging off the fence.

- Cosmos (both types) in the square planters. Also with calla lilies?

- Replaced aluminum planter in front with one that has alyssum, dianthus, and ranunculus. Need to evaluate the other one. A couple bulbs came up only a couple inches. Soil seems soggy. It's not a happy planter.

- I'm soaking Nasturtium seeds that will also get planted in places where viney things will cover the fence. I think I may have gone a bit overboard on making sure there was fence cover this year. Oh well.

Anyway, I've already lost track of where the seeds are. I need to label some popsicle sticks b/c I also started some in the little containers so that I'll know what's what when it starts coming up. As if.

Meanwhile, here's what it looked like with stuff starting to come up. Notice the pink tulips. RIP. The squirrels beheaded them later the same day.

No comments: