Saturday, May 9, 2009

Gaps to fill

Ok, a little bit of a note to myself about what to plan for this early-spring season for next year, as well as some out-loud planning.

First: the "bionic bed" where the echinacea and joe pye weed grows is really dismal this time of year. Both die back to the ground, and there's nothing else there for spring interest. Now both are coming up, but it's really messy. I need: Fence cover that will be more all season (the new climbing hydrangea should help for that - see it, near the front?), and early blooming flowers that will provide some interest before the echinacea and joe pye grow. And I remember from last year that it was mess -- a big happy mess, but a mess -- even after blooming was underway.

Next: the back raised bed. The raspberries are awesome, and the "Virginia cup" looks to be making a strong revival. But in between there is a gap of ugly fence, and really I hate looking at that pool. We need something tall there. This is where I planted one of the flower seed mixes, so we'll see what kind of flowers appear, but again, early interest.

And, speaking of fence cover, something that can grow behind the aluminum chive planter and cover the fence there? The clematis works once it is up and running, but again, some year-round cover would be nice.

And the shady bed. The hosta does well, damn thing. I really, 100 percent, am sure that I hate the hosta. All hostas. I want to get rid of it. But so far, it and the hellibore are the only thing that "work." It's a dry shade, in need of inspiration. Fern died. Heuchera died. Sorrel died. Pampas grass died. Hydrangeas died. I'm sure I've tried others. Seedlings from the shady "mix" are coming up nicely, however.

While I'm there, I know that the peony dies back and leaves a big gap. We need a later blooming thing to plant behind it. That can be a project for later, but I should think about it now.

The concrete blocks. The candytuft is a suprise and awesome, but very lonely. Mysteriously, the dianthus is coming back -- I thought it was just an annual! Bulbs in the concrete block haven't worked that well - and even when they do squirrels get 'em. More candytuft? The two out there look so lonely.

And seedlings. Such mixed feelings. They take so long. And often don't work. then there are all the planters and other ways to cover a fence that I'm plotting...

No comments: