Sunday, September 6, 2009

Like a library book : crafty project one & two

I am overdue. Three days may not seem like long, but it's an eternity when you're sitting around waiting for contractions to start. I've gotten crafty to keep myself busy. Literally.


Project 1: Curtains were too short.
So I decided to add dangly bits. I thought felt, and went to Fiber Notion in Park Slope, where they were awesome. Convinced me to expand my color palette beyond being matchy-matchy with the orange and red, and I came home with a pile of felt and some fun little balls and a plan to make pennants. But then measured and realized I only had three inches to add. Steve helped with the design (and cut out most of the little yellow circles), and on Friday, that's what I did. I sewed little pennants onto the curtain bottoms.












Project 2: try to un-Ikea the Ikea dresser.


(This was much less involved, but also involved co-opting the kitchen table for most of Friday and a bit of Saturday).


Steve is allergic to Ikea. He got a bit, um, stressed out when there were many objects of Ikea origin becoming nursery decor. So I promised him that as much as possible, I'd adulterate, so the Ikea part became a mere raw ingredient.


Steve's client Iliana gave us this cheerful red Ikea dresser. It's very handy, and already full of baby gear. I figured as a minimum, at least I could change the knobs. So I got plain wood knobs, painted them orange, and then decided on a little airplane/cloud motif. I am not the best painter, but you can kind of tell they are clouds and airplanes. Not sure if you can tell in this picture, but trust me.

Project three in a new post...

3 comments:

Eliza said...

This room is so darn cute- I can't believe Baby S hasn't come out to claim it, 'cuz if he doesn't hurry, I'm moving in! (btw,I can't believe you went to Park Slope for the felt, like Target felt wasn't good enough lol- well, it is my nephew after all)

green light said...

Eliza! This is Brooklyn. It's WAY easier to get to Park Slope than to get to a Target. Plus, Target wouldn't have given me such great ideas.

Richard Reinert said...

Why? I ask myself why should Steve be allergic to Ikea! Maybe it's their showrooms.
Nonetheless, you did a great job at disguising the stuff!
Good site, too.